Saturday 21 July 2012

Run Through the Jungle

In the chalet, I wake at first light, having briefly woken a few times during the night. I don't recall having had any dreams whatsoever. I'm keen to get out before anyone catches me. I can't unlock the door. After a few panicky, trapped moments, I make my escape through the window.

I feel normal. There's no hangover, but I have the vivid memories of last night. For the first time, I'm thinking straight enough to put the Ayahuasca and the things I saw together. I'm curious to see if any of the people out here really are deformed. I'd guess this is could be prime spot for inbreeding. In any case, I've got to go back to try and find my backpack.

I find that the orbs of light that guided me were real, and that escaping the chalet area is almost as difficult now as it seemed last night. The village, Shiripuno, is only a short walk. 

I fail to find my bag. On the way out, I run into my shaman. He seems perfectly happy with his handiwork and asks how my experience was. I couldn't explain it if I wanted to, so I leave it at little more than a thumbs up and 'thank you'. I don't know why I'm thanking him for leaving me to die.

Last night's urge to 'get the fucking hell out of this jungle as quickly as bloody possible' hasn't diminished all that much. Given the light of day, I get myself back to Tena, then on the bus back to Quito. I'm wholly ignoring advice from both the internet and a local that I should rest for a day or two after taking Ayahuasca.

On the bus, I'm left to recall the night as best I can. My recollections are in the same way as they'd be if I had been drunk with alcohol. I remember all the events and incidents well, but it's too patchy to easily string them together and fill the gaps. I'm not even certain if I was thinking lucidly, or as if I was drunk. Aside from believing the reality of everything single I saw, if I was thinking lucidly, would I have tried to walk back to Tena? Why did I believe I was in Puerto Williams, Chile? In Shiripuno, the actual road structure and even the features of the land don't even exist as I saw them last night, but in Misahualli, I did see the surroundings as they really were. Were any of the people I saw real people? Was I actually on the Otherside - in the spirit world? The big cat wasn't consistent with any of the hallucinations. I think that thing was a god damned puma.

When I was opening the door of the car, I think I had some feeling or a thought that someone was with me - a friend - but when my pack disappeared, I definitely didn't immediately suspect anyone. I can't believe an evil spirit stole my pack, but, actually, I think I do. I regret not kicking that bastards head off. Thankfully, I learned my lesson from the lost wallet and hadn't packed anything immediately consequential.

The experience wasn't a barrel of laughs, obviously, but it was completely, entirely incredible. I don't regret it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it. I certainly wouldn't do it the same way I just did - alone, and homeless, in a puma-infested jungle.

Something is still a little wrong. I'm far-sighted. I wasn't far-sighted yesterday. Most of everything looks fine, but as I draw my finger to and from my nose, I can't focus on it at all. This is definitely wrong. Other than rinsing my eyes, there's nothing I can do. I guess I'll just wait a few days. It'll probably come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment