Saturday 3 March 2012

Exit Stage Left

Dear All, 

Despite having ignored most social networking to date, I've been persuaded to make efforts to provide some updates on my impending travels. I'll give it a shot.

Perhaps some context to start. I worked in a bank for some four-odd years. In the earlier year, or even years, I wanted to be CEO. In the latter months, I would all too frequently make the shape of a gun out of my hand a press it against my temple. Overall though, I had a nice time. In November of Twenty-Eleven, the bank pulled the eject lever on my spinny chair, and I no longer worked in the bank. The end was painfully predictable. By the coming of the fateful day, I'd long since removed my personal effects and had packed no more than my ukulele and box of cigars, with which I promptly re-located to the pub.

Since November, I've enjoyed my "semi-retirement" greatly, and have entertained my time with various jobs and activities. The highlights, in no particular order:

Sailor
Part-time Sous Chef in an kebab shop
Climbing up and down Pen Y Fan
Roadie, on the Spanish leg of a European tour, for a Hardcore, Deathcore metal band, Cyanide Serenity
Finding the Holy Grail
Motorbike lessons
Watching all series of The Big Bang Theory, How I Met your Mother & Sheena
Learning tourist's Spanish
Walking a dog
Safety Marshall - Fuller's 4's river race
Re-enacting the Rocky IV training montage
A jaunt to Africa for a picnic lunch
Milling around microbreweries
Attaining momentary celebrity status on the London BMX circuit
Petting animals at the petting zoo
Pulling Gary Moore faces
Drinking
Smoking
Assisting, albeit briefly, a start up a Italian food distribution company
Trapped on The Thames on account of insufficient water
Admiring The Great Masturbator
Drunken ukulele duel with anti-capitalist protestor (late on the evening I ejected from the bank)
Completed visiting all wooden, ale-serving pubs in a radius of appx. 2500ft of the old office, and appx. 4000ft of old flat

Tomorrow, I'm going to fly to the end of the world and sail around Cape Horn with some Germans, Austrians, and a Frenchman. I gather rounding the Horn will, most likely, involve scenes of mild peril, but I still hold that special sense of immortality that young men enjoy - albeit scientifically unfounded. I'm sure it will be fine.

Then, I suppose I'll gallivant around South America for a while. I'm not sure how long I'll be gone. I've got no plans, bookings, nor reservations, so I guess I'll simply wander around aimlessly, getting into mischief and high jinks and such-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment